1. Discover and follow your own path in life.
2. Don’t be afraid to say “no” to other people.
3. Make character a goal, and top priority.
4. Don’t procrastinate, or fail to do the things that matter.
5. Spend your time with people who affirm and value you.
6. Don’t fear being judged or criticised by other people.
7. Do what makes you happy … All the things that you enjoy.
8. Don’t ruminate on failures, or misjudgments, or mistakes.
9. Do things that you’ll be proud of when you look back on your life.
10. Don’t take yourself too seriously, or worry all the time.
We live in a society that’s sexist in ways it doesn’t understand. One of the consequences is that men are extremely sensitive to being criticized by women. I think it threatens them in a very primal way, and male privilege makes them feel free to lash out.
This is why women are socialized to carefully dance around these issues, disagreeing with men in an extremely gentle manner. Not because women are nicer creatures than men. But because our very survival can depend on it.
written by No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry